Skip to main content

Mussar

And so I begin again. Again, I begin again. I do not know if every beginning has the same point of departure, or if there is some distance, however minimal, between these points. All I know is that I must begin again, and that I must hope.

Could it be that this in itself is part of my soul curriculum? If so, what middah is so woefully out of kilter that I must be confronted with it at every step, at the beginning of the beginning--or even before?

If this kind of failure, a failure that it is the warp to the woof of the process of seeking growth, adjustment, becoming-whole, points at one challenge, it is ANAVAH, humility.

Like many, I always assumed that those of us who are shy, lack social skill (not to say, graces!!), live in constant self-doubt and with the firm conviction of our inadequacy, are somehow immune from the qualities at the other end of the continuum: hubris, self-aggrandizement, arrogance. But it is not so.

In fact, were it not for those feelings of haughtiness, we believe we might disappear, become so insignificant as to vanish from our own lives, unseen and unnoticed by all, even by those who supposedly love us.

The balance is elusive. Balance would mean having arrived, even if temporarily, in that state of equilibrium. But we fly past that point like children on a teeter-totter, racing to the bottom or being hurled to the top, never stopping mid-point, the mid-point being like the state of Schrödinger's cat that is neither dead nor alive, a second when the universe holds its breath.

I stop at that thought. Can "neither dead nor alive" be a state of grace, of peace? Or is it that these are a different category of opposites, or something different altogether?. Love, hate, good, bad, dead, alive... Surely we want to be all good, all alive, all love!

And yet: Maybe the notion of opposites is not appropriate on the path of Mussar. Maybe Jacob's ladder only ever reaches half way toward heaven, because we cannot be all good, all love, all alive, brokenness written into our very being, "They give birth astride of a grave," as Beckett put it so much better.

I begin again. Up or down. Wrong or wronger. And so humility must be the quality left out for now, because it is everything. The "doubleness" of it is unbearable, as though I tried to describe the state of being pre-verbal. It will not do.

So I begin again. I do not know where I am, but perhaps I will know where I have been once I explore the space of my being the way one gets to know someone by running fingers over the contours of his face. Feeling my way, touching my heart, sensing the pulse of God's creation even in the least worthy. Here I am. Hineini.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tree

Years since it bore an apricot. Many more since it bore many. Half the trunk rotted, fallen, gathered in the windrows by the field. On mossy branches raspberries grow, making rainbows. But every spring, around my mother's yahrzeit it remembers (as do I) and blossoms in the palest pinks fiercely, profusely, fragile. Nothing will come of it, as nothing comes of me, except forgetting, except small bits of me riding away on petals on the wind.

Something About Spring

There's something about spring.... Trees and shrubs madly competing to get all their leaves out first, big, fat, lush; grass turning too green, then being outdone by the too-yellow of a carpet of dandelion; tulips burning up the near-empty garden beds with hues of deep purple and barnfire reds. It's all somehow too much. And people, too, popping out of their sealed houses, shivering in thin shirts and sandals with grim determination, trying to ignore the hard spring breeze. In all that rushing towards new life, that frenzy seemingly shared by all living things, with the swallows repairing last year's nests, and the Canada Geese squatting in the middle of the hayfield, or even by the side of the road to get the new crop of children out ... in all that there is also denial, a forgetting of what fails to return, what has quietly ceased during autumn and winter: plants that went underground and have failed to rise again, animals whose last breath rode away on the stiff winds of

We're okay!!

We're okay, we say, we're well; zooming to see friends, it's great,  we're smiling, waving, smiling.  Smiling. And all around our elders trapped in airless rooms with only one way out: in body bags. Curbside the freezer trucks are waiting. Remember what it's like to hug,  to kiss, to be so close we dreamt each other's dreams? Will we remember--if we live? And will the woods be green again this spring? Will God forgive us our sins?